Westmorland Villages

Kendal Parish Index


BARROWS-GREEN, in Natland and Stainton townships, 3 miles SSE. of Kendal.

BONNING-YEAT, a hamlet in Strickland Ketel, 3 miles WNW. of Kendal.

BRADLEY-FIELD, a hamlet, forming a joint township with Underbarrow, 2 miles WSW. of Kendal. It derived its name from its ancient possessors, the Bradleys, who came from Lancashire, and ended in three co-heiresses, one of whom married into the family of Leyburn, long seated at Cunswick, in this township, now a farm-house. One of the Leyburns engaged in the rebellion of 1715, and his estate was forfeited to the crown, and sold to Thomas Crowle, of whose sons’ heirs it was purchased in 1753 by Sir James Lowther, Bart., and now belongs to the Earl of Lonsdale.

BURNSIDE, a village on both sides of the Kent, 2 miles N. by W. of Kendal, in the townships of Strickland Roger and Strickland Ketel, which form the Chapelry of Burneside, the CHAPEL being a handsome structure in the latter township, on the west side of the river, which is here crossed by a good bridge. The chapel was re-built in the Gothic style in 1823, at the cost of £1,300, of which £900 was subscribed, and the rest raised by a rate on the inhabitants. It has received four lots of £200 each from Queen Anne’s Bounty, besides several subscriptions; £100 given by Dr. Stratford’s executors; five marks yearly out of lands in Stavely, left by Robert Kitchin, Esq.’ and 20s. yearly out of an estate in Strickland Ketel, left by Mr. Thomas Atkinson. Of the money, £531 was laid out in 1757, in the purchase of an estate at Skelsmergh, and £400 in the purchase of another at Dent, in Yorkshire. The curacy is in the patronage of the land owners, and the Rev. Wm. Robinson is now the incumbent, and also master of the FREE SCHOOL, which was re-built by the Rev. Alan Fisher, of Hundhow, who died in 1787, and endowed it with £600 and a good Library, previous to which it had £100 left by Mr. Harling, and 20 l. left by Alan Bracken. In the village is a Worsted Mill, and a patent candlewick cutting engine manufactory. The MANOR is sometimes written Burnshead, and belonged to an ancient family of that name, with whose heiress it passed to the Bellinghams, who long held it, as afterwards did the Braithwaites, who sold it to the Shepherds, who sold the estates to various proprietors, and the manor to the Lowthers. The hall has long been in ruins, but part of it is occupied by a farmer. Tolson Hall, the seat of Joseph Hindle, gentleman, was greatly improved by its late owner, James Bateman, Esq., who erected the obelisk on the neighbouring fell. – See Strickland Ketel and Strickland Roger.

COWEN-HEAD, a hamlet on the Kent, in Strickland Roger and Ketel, where there is a paper mill, 3 ½ miles NW. of Kendal.

CROOK, a hamlet and extensive township and chapelry, 5 ¼ miles W. by N. of Kendal. The manor being in the Marquis and Lumley fees, belongs to the Earl of Lonsdale and the Hon. F. G. Howard. An act for enclosing the common passed in 1823. In this mountainous district is a lead vein, containing Barytes, similar to that from which Wedgewood manufactured his beautiful jasper ware, the vases of which were superior to any other made in the world, and were celebrated for their beauty throughout Europe. Here is a woolen mill, and several bobbin turners, at the hamlet of Crook Mill, 3 ¼ miles NW. of Kendal. Gilpin Bridge, tradition says, had its name from a man who slew upon it the last wild boar in this country. Crook Hall, now a farm-house, was anciently called Thwatterden Hall, and for several generations belonged to the Philipsons, a branch of those at Calgarth. The CHAPEL is an ancient edifice, standing alone in the center of the chapelry, and having a tower and bell. In 1751 and 1767 it was augmented with 400l., with which two estates were purchased at Stainton and Crook, and at the latter it has another small estate, given by an unknown donor. The land owners are the patrons, and the Rev. Robert Sandford is the incumbent curate. Near the hamlet of How is a Quakers’ Chapel and burial ground.

DILLICAR township, in Grayrigg chapelry, and Lonsdale ward, contains the hamlet of BECKFOOT, and several dispersed dwellings on the west side of the river Lune, 8 miles NE. of Kendal. The land is free-hold, and each owner is lord of his own estate.

DOCKER, another township in Grayrigg chapelry, containing eleven scattered farm-houses, with a few cottages, 4 miles NE. of Kendal, surrounded by fells and high lands. This manor was granted to St. Leonard’s Hospital in York, and after the dissolution, to Richard Washington, who conveyed it to the Duckets, of Grayrigg, who, in 1690, sold it to the Lowthers, who pay for it a quit rent of 13s. 4d. to the Duke of Leeds, whose ancestor purchased this and many other fee farm rents of the crown in the reign of Charles II.

EWBANK, a hamlet in Old Hutton, 4 ½ miles SE. of Kendal.

FAWCETT FOREST, a wild, mountainous, and extensive township, in the parishes of Kendal, Shap, and Orton, and chapelry of Selside, extending from 5 ½ to 8 miles N. of Kendal. This manor was anciently called Fauside, and belonged to Byland Abbey, in Yorkshire, but after the dissolution was purchased by the Bellinghams of Levens, who sold it to Colonel Grahme, from whom it has descended to its present lord, the Hon. F. G. Howard, who lets the demesne of 5000 acres for less than 500l. a year, though it was lately let for as many guineas. – See Borrowdale.

GARTH-ROW, a hamlet in Skelsmergh, 3 miles N. of Kendal.

GARNET-BRIDGE, a hamlet in Strickland Roger, 5 miles N. of Kendal.

GATESIDE, a hamlet in Whitwell, 5 miles. N. by E. of Kendal.

GRASSGARTH, a hamlet in Hugill, 7 miles WNW. Of Kendal. Here was anciently a chapel, dedicated to St. Anne, before the erection of that at Ings.

GRAYRIGG township contains the hamlets of Beck-houses and Chapel houses, and a number of straggling dwellings, 5 ½ miles NE. of Kendal. Its chapelry also includes the townships of Dillicar, Docker, Lambrigg, and Whinfell. The CHAPEL, which was re-built in 1708, is a small humble fabric, and was augmented in 1751 with 200l., obtained from Queen Anne’s Bounty, 200l. given by Wm. Rudd, Dr. Stratford, and John Haistwell, all laid out in land at Dillicar and Whinfell. The immemorial right of the land owners to nominate the curate is now disputed by the Vicar of Kendal, who has lately inducted the Rev. Thos. Airey, and in order, if possible, to prevent a threatened law suit, has declared that if they send their choice to him he will approve, but we understand the land owners have refused his interference. The Quakers have a meeting-house and burial ground at Beck-houses, endowed with a small estate, purchased with 100l., left by John Dicconson. They have also an ancient cemetery at Sunny-bank, which has not been used for many years. The present SCHOOL, near the chapel, was built by subscription in 1818, and now affords education to 33 free scholars belonging to the chapelry. It is endowed with 11 acres of land, purchased in 1723 with 30l. left by Robert Adamson, and with 400l. in the 5 per cents; given before 1807 by Wm. Thompson, Leonard Barnard, Arthur Shepherd, and John Moser. The manor was given by Wm. de Lancastre in marriage with his daughter to Alexander de Windsore, from whose family it passed to the Duckets, who resided at Grayrigg-hall, till they sold the manor, with Lambrigg and Docker, to Sir John Lowther, who enfranchised all the tenants, except some few who were not able to purchase. The lead and timber of the old ruined quadrangular hall were many years ago removed to Lowther.

HAY, a hamlet 2 ½ miles E. of Kendal (See Scalthwaiterigg). Here is Hill Top, the delightfully-placed seat of Ralph Fisher, Esq.

HELSINGTON township and chapelry comprises part of the village of Brigsteer, and a number of dispersed dwellings, extending from 1 ½ to 4 miles S. of Kendal, on the west side of the Kent. Near the high road stands SIZERGH HALL, in the midst of fertile grounds, beautifully sprinkled with wood, though at the foot of a wild and sterile hill. This ancient fortified mansion, built in the suspicious days of feudal discord and Scottish invasion, is the seat of Thomas Strickland, Esq. whose ancestors derived their name from Strickland, or Stirkland, in Morland parish, and resided there and here from a very early period; many of them, for their civil and military services, were distinguished with the honour of knighthood, and one of them was Bishop of Carlisle. The first on record is Sir Walter de Stirkland, who lived in the reign of King John, since which, the family has a regular pedigree down to the present time. When Sizergh Hall was erected has not been ascertained, but it has been frequently repaired and enlarged, so that it is still a very perfect Gothic mansion, and from its strong towers has a very formidable appearance, reminding us of those days when every Englishmen’s house was really his castle. The interior is elegantly furnished, contains some good pictures, and a spacious dining room, the ceiling and wainscoting of which are of richly carved oak, though the former has been injured by a coating of whitewash laid upon it by some person, ignorant of the superior value of carvings compared with stucco work. The Queen’s room is so called from Katherine Parr, the last queen of Henry VIII. having lodged in it a few nights after the king’s death. The Sizergh demesne is extensive, and comprehends a large farm on the opposite side of the river, called Lark rigg. The Manor of Helsington being part of the Lumley Fee, belongs to the Hon. F. G. Howard, but was formerly held by the Bindlose family. The CHAPEL, dedicated to St. John, is a neat building, erected by subscription in 1726, and endowed by John Jackson, of Holeslack, with the adjacent Scar-house estate, and the "Chamber tenement." It was soon afterwards augmented with £200 by Queen Anne’s bounty, £55 8s. given by Mr. Matson the curate, and £44 12s. subscribed, making £300, with which was purchased the Kirkbarrow field, near Kirkland, and land at Rawnrigg, in Barbon. It was again augmented in 1762 with £200 given by the Countess Dowager Gower, and £200 more obtained from Queen Anne’s bounty, with which sums the Scarfoot estate in Underbarrow was purchased, so that its income is now about £150 per annum. The vicar of Kendal is patron of the curacy, which is now enjoyed by the Rev. Wm. Moore, of Kirkland, for whom the Rev. Geo. Wilson, of Heversham officiates. Mr. Jackson, above-mentioned, also left 13s. 4d. yearly out of a shop in Kendal, for the education of three poor children, and a small plot of land called Jack Parrock, for the chapel clerk. Stone-bank Green was formerly the residence of the Fishers, who were connected with many of the old families of the county.

HOLMSCALES, a hamlet, including two farms called Crosslands, forms a joint township with Old Hutton, though it belongs ecclesiastically to Burton parish, and is 5 miles SE. of Kendal. Henry Rauthmell, Esq. is lord of the manor.

HUGIL township contains the small hamlets of Heights, Hugill, Grassgarth, Ings, Reston, and Ulthwaite, distant from 6 to 7 miles NW. of Kendal, on the Ambleside road and the Kent river. It is principally in the chapelry of Ings, and partly in that of Stavely. The Earl of Lonsdale and the Hon. F. G. Howard are lords of the manor. Here are several bobbin tuners and a woolen mill.

HUTTON-I’-TH’-HAY is a constablery forming a township with Hay and Scalthwaitrigg, 3 miles E. of Kendal. It is in New Hutton Chapelry, and in the manor of Hay or Hey, belonging to the Marquis Fee. Here is Raw-Head, the ancient mansion of John Sleddall, Esq.

HUTTON (NEW) a township, containing the hamlets of Borrans, Millholm, Raw-Green, and several dispersed dwellings, having different names, and distant 3 ½ miles ESE. of Kendal. The CHAPEL was built in 1739, for the inhabitants of New Hutton, Hay, and Hutton-in-the-Hay, who endowed it with £200, and £200 being added by Queen Anne’s bounty, an estate was purchased at Killington, called Gillard Stile. In 1756 it was augmented with another lot of £200, with which land was bought at Grayrigg. The chapel is now re-building (1829) at the estimated cost of £500, towards which £100 has been given by the Society for building Churches, etc. £100 by Ralph Fisher, Esq., £10 by the vicar of Kendal, the patron, and £10 by the Rev. John Sampson, the incumbent curate. The School is also to be re-built, and has a small endowment. At the foot of Rowland-Edge Fell is the large reservoir which feeds the canal, and lies in the townships of Killington and Old and New Hutton. It is formed in a deep semicircular glen, its banks being all natural, except at the south end, where, in 1820, the water burst its bounds, and it was with great labour that the embankment was strengthened, and the adjacent farms saved from inundation. The Earl of Lonsdale is the lord of the manor.

HUTTON (OLD), and HOLMSCALES, form a joint township, containing the hamlets of Bridge-end, Chapel-houses, Ewbank, and Middleshaw, on the Kirkby-Lonsdale road and Belo river, from 3 ½ to 5 miles SE. of Kendal. Holmscales belongs ecclesiastically to Burton parish, but Old Hutton forms a chapelry in Kendal parish. The CHAPEL was erected in 1628, and re-built in 1699, and had a burial-ground consecrated in 1822. It has an ancient salary of £4 12s., a piece of land left by Henry Bateman, and £5 a year for an afternoon sermon, left by Thomas Robinson in 1706; since which it has been augmented with £600 of Queen Anne’s bounty; 100l. from Dr. Stratford’s trustees, and 100l. given by various benefactors, all laid out in land. The land owners nominate the curate, which office is now filled by the Rev. Geo. Theobalds. The SCHOOL near the chapel has a parochial library, founded by the associates of Dr. Bray, in 1757. The school, which was re-built in 1753, was erected and endowed with nearly £20 a year by Edward Milner, in 1613. Henry Rauthmell, Esq. of Bridge-end, is lord of the manor, the tenants of which have been long enfranchised. BLEASE HALL was several centuries the seat of the Batemans, but now belongs to C. Wilson, Esq. of Kendal, and though now only a farm-house, it was once a large and elegant mansion. Much of it has been taken down to build out-houses, and the only traces of its ancient consequence is a very fine wainscoted room, dated 1624. Hood Ridding, another ancient mansion has, during the two last centuries, belonged to the family of Yeates.

INGS, a small village, with a chapel of ease in Hugill township, 6 ¼ miles NW. of Kendal, on the Ambleside road. Its chapelry comprehends most of Hugill, and part of Nether Stavely township. The CHAPEL, a neat edifice, was re-built in 1743, by Robert Bateman, who endowed it with 12l. a year, besides bequeathing 8l. a year to the school, and 1000l. for the purchase of an estate, and the erection of eight cottages, for the reception of as many poor families. The living has been augmented with 600l. obtained in three lots of Queen Anne’s bounty, and 200l. given by Mrs. Mary Foster; of which sums 600l. was laid out in the purchase of three estates at Middleton in Furness, Colwith in Langdale, and in Selside, and 200l. has remained in the Bounty office since 1826, when it fell by lot to this chapel. The land-owners are the patrons, and the Rev. John Airy is curate, and master of the School, which was endowed in 1655, with 12l. a year out of an estate at Grassgarth, by Rowland Wilson, Esq. On the lofty summit of High-Knott is a large circular obelisk, erected about 30 years ago, by the Rev. Thomas Williamson, in memory of his father, who for many years walked every day to this eminence, which commands an extensive prospect. Robert Bateman, the great benefactor of this chapelry, being a very poor but meritorious lad, was, according to the custom of the country, furnished by the congregation with a small subscription, to assist him on his pedestrian journey to London, where, from the lowest menial office in the house of a wealthy merchant, he rose to be his master’s partner, and afterwards amassed considerable property at Leghorn, on his voyage from whence it is said he was poisoned in the Straits of Gibraltar, by the captain of his vessel, who sailed back to Italy, and appropriated to himself the ship and cargo.

KENTMERE township and chapelry forms a narrow vale, 2 miles in length, shut in by lofty fells, and distant 9 miles NW. by N. of Kendal. It is watered by the river Kent, which rises a little to the north, and here forms a LAKE one mile long, abounding with trout, perch, and wild ducks, and margined by swampy grounds, so that it cannot be approached, except at one point at the foot of a mountain, where a boat is moored. Between this and Long Sleddale, about 1 ½ mile eastward, upon the fell, is another large tarn, called Skeggles-water, in which are pike and perch. Here are blue slate quarries, and blue limestone. The houses are all scattered, except the hamlet of Green Quarter, which gives name to that part of the township, on the east side of the Kent, the other division being called Crag Quarter, from the huge broken rocks which divide it from Applethwaite and Hugill, and at the foot of one of which stands the ancient tower-building, Kentmere-Hall, occupied by a farmer. C. Wilson, Esq. is owner of the lake and part of the township.

The CHAPEL stands near the hall and lake, and had a burial-ground consecrated in 1701. The curate’s ancient salary is £6 a year, paid by the land-owners, who are the patrons, but the living was augmented before 1757, with £600, viz. £400 obtained from Queen Anne’s bounty, £100 given by the inhabitants, and £100 by the executors of Dr. Stratford. Of this money £200 was laid out in the purchase of the Bonnel-Head estate in Strickland Ketel, about 1750, and £400 purchased the Patton-End estate, in Patton. Dr. Airey bequeathed 40s. yearly for a monthly sermon, and, as well as that still more eminent and pious divine, Bernard Gilpin, a native of Kentmere, where the family of Gilpin was long seated, and had a considerable estate. The Rev. John Grisenthwaite is the curate and master of the chapel school, which is not endowed. – The manor has been sold to the land-owners.

KIRKLAND TOWNSHIP forms part of Kendal town.

LAMBRIGG, a township of scattered houses, in Grayrigg chapelry, containing a long and lofty fell, called Lambrigg Park, and distant 4 ½ miles ENE. of Kendal. The Earl of Lonsdale is lord of the manor, in which Burn says there is a copper vein, which was wrought by the late Viscount Lonsdale; but the water being very troublesome, and the vein not very rich, he desisted. Mosedale Hall is the seat of James Thompson, jun. Esq.

LONDON (LITTLE), a hamlet in Stogdale, in the township of Long Sleddale, 10 miles N. by E. of Kendal.

LONG-SLEDDALE township and chapelry, is a mountainous and picturesque district, 6 miles in length and 3 in breadth, extending southward from the lofty Harter Fell to Potter Fell, within 5 miles N. of Kendal, and intersected by the Sprint rivulet, which runs through the deep vale, parallel with the road by which tourist from Kendal approach the sublime mountain scenery round Hawes-water. Verdant fields rise from each side of the rivulet in irregular swells, till the rocky declivities of the mountains preclude all cultivation, except brushwood and coppices, which climb up the steep banks, and in some places find support even in the craggy precipices, which here present their lofty and rugged fronts with much grandeur, having, in many places, beautiful cascades spouting and tumbling from their summits, and sometime broken by gusts of wind into clouds of spangled moisture. At Rangle-Gill, near the head of the dale, are extensive quarries of the finest blue slate. The Chapel stands near the center of the dale, in which the houses are all scattered, except at the north end where there is a hamlet, called Little London. It was re-built and had a burial-ground consecrated in 1712. It has been several times augmented, viz. in 1713 with £80, given by the heir and four daughters of Henry Holme, and in 1746, 1773, and 1775, with three lots of £200 each, from Queen Anne’s bounty, and a subscription of £200, making altogether £880, laid out in the purchase of land in Long-Sleddale, Selside, and Lambrigg, now let for about £50 a year. The Hon. F. G. Howard, of Levens Hall, is lord of the manor, and allows the master of the Chapel School £15 per annum for teaching poor children. Most of the estates are enfranchised. The principal mansion in the dale was Ubery, or Ubarrow-Hall, now occupied by a farmer, and having an ancient tower, with all two yards thick. The Rev. Henry Greenwood is the incumbent, and the land-owners are the patrons of the curacy.

LOW-GREEN-HILL, a hamlet in Strickland Ketel, 4 miles WNW. of Kendal.

MEAL-BANK, a hamlet in Scalthwaite-Rigg, 2 ½ miles NE. of Kendal.

MIDDLESHAW, a village in Old Hutton, 4 miles SE. of Kendal.

MILLHOLM, a hamlet in New Hutton, 4 miles ESE. of Kendal.

NATLAND, a village, township, and chapelry, 2 miles S. of Kendal. Thomas Strickland, Esq. is lord of the manor, but nearly all the estates are freehold, and W. W. C. Wilson, Esq. is the principal owner. The old Chapel, which had been built in 1735 on the site of the original fabric, was taken down in 1825, and the present neat edifice erected at the distance of 100 yards, in a newly consecrated burial-ground, at the cost of £550, towards which W. W. C. Wilson, Esq. gave £100; Judge Burton, £100; the late Daniel Wilson, Esq. £100; and the Society for Building New Churches, etc. £100. In 1746, 1749, and 1754, it was augmented with £600 of Queen Anne’s bounty, and in the latter year with £100, left by Archbishop Bolter, Primate of Ireland, and £100 left by Dr. Stratford; which sums were laid out in land at Skelsmergh, Old Hutton, and Barbon, now worth about £70 a year. It has since received another augmentation, producing £24 yearly. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the vicar of Kendal, and incumbency of the Rev. Joseph Fawcett, of Kendal, for whom the Rev. R. W. Fisher, B.A. officiates. Helm Lodge, one mile S. of Kendal, is the modern seat of William Dilworth Crewdson, Esq., and stands nearly half of a mile N. of Watercrook, the Concangium of the Notitia, which was garrisoned by a body of vigilators, or watchmen, and was the intermediate Roman station between Ambleside and Overborough. Within the area are marks of trenches, 140 yards square, though much defaced by the plough. Altars, coins, urns, and inscribed stones have been found here; and in the wall of the adjacent barn is legible, the inscription copied by Horsley, to the memory of two freemen, with an imprecation again any one who should contaminate their sepulcher, and a fine to the fiscal. There is also an altar without any inscription, and a Silenus without a head. At a short distance is a pyramidical knoll, crowned with a single tree, and called Sattury; perhaps from its having anciently a temple to the honour of the god Saturn. In the Kendal museum are five Roman urns, found at this station. Natland school is endowed with £40 a year and W. W. C. Wilson, Esq. is the trustee. Oxen-Holm, the ancient seat of the Archer family, is now a farmhouse, belonging to C. Wilson, Esq. The house called Natland Abbey was once the seat of Allan Pricket, Esq. Recorder of Kendal.

NETHER-GRAVESHIP township lies on both sides of the Kent river, and extends about one mile southward from the suburbs of Kendal town. Here is Collin-Field, one of the most perfect specimens of the old manor houses in the county. It was long the seat of the Chambre family, of whom it was purchased in 1668, by Mr. George Sedgwick, secretary to the charitable Anne, Countess Dowager of Pembroke, who gave him £200 towards the purchase, and, during the Protectorate of Cromwell, this was one of the houses whither she retied for safety, and present the owner with his picture, and a large lock for the hall door, the master key of which she carried about her, so that she might have free access at all hours, in case her enemies should pursue her. Mr. Sedgwick improved the house considerably, and planted round it the fine sycamores which now shade it. The house contains some fine specimens of the beautiful geometrical windows of Elizabeth’s reign, and is now the property of Anthony Yeates, Esq. being purchased by one of his forefathers of the Sedgwicks, about eighty years ago. One the estate is Stonecross-barn, where a cross has stood from time immemorial.

PARK-LANDS, a part of Kirkby-Kendal township.

PATTON, a township of scattered houses, between the Mint and Sprint rivulets, from 2 ½ to 4 miles NE. of Kendal. It forms one constablewick with Skelsmergh, and anciently belonged to a family of its own name, but in 1723 the manor was sold to trustees, for the use of the tenants. Shaw End is the beautiful seat of Alfred Shepherd, Esq.

RAW-GREEN, a hamlet in New Hutton, 3 ½ miles ESE. of Kendal.

RESTON, a hamlet in Hugill, 6 miles NW. of Kendal.

SCALTHWAITE-RIGG is a constablery under the parish church, and lying on the east side of the Kent, opposite to Kendal. It forms a joint township with Hay, and Hutton-in-the-Hay, both of which are under the Chapel, at New Hutton. The common of the township was enclosed by an Act passed in 1812. The manor being of the Marquis Fee belongs to the Earl of Lonsdale. Sleddale Hall, now a farm-house belonging to C. Wilson, Esq., was long the seat of the ancient family of Sleddale, one of whom was the first Mayor of Kendal, and possessed Gillthwaite-Rigg, and some other estates. The village of FAR-CROSS-BANK in this township, forms a suburb of Kendal.

SELSIDE and WHITWELL form one township, lying between the Sprint and Mint rivulets 4 ½ miles N. by E. of Kendal. Except the hamlet of Gateside, the houses are all scattered, and bear different names. The CHAPEL, which includes within its jurisdiction this township, that of Fawcet Forest, part of Whinfells, two houses in Skelsmergh, and three houses in Strickland Roger, stands in a field, near Selside hall, and has a burial ground, in which it was built about 1720. In 1717, the curacy was certified at £8 5s., viz. £4 charged upon the estates of the inhabitants, £4 issuing out of land left by Miles Birbeck, and 5s. interest of money left by Thomas Nelson. It was augmented in 1722 with two estates called Harrod and Stonegarth, in Whinfell, purchased with £200 of Queen Anne’s bounty, £100 given by Lady Moyer, £100 by Colonel Grahme and the inhabitants, and £40 left by Peter Shepherd. In 1722 it received £200 more of Queen Anne’s bounty, £100 from the trustees of Dr. Stratford, and £100 given by the Rev. Wm. Atkinson, all laid out in the purchase of Beck-stones, afterwards exchanged for the Brow-foot estate in Firbank. The land owners are the patrons, and the Rev. Thomas Airey is the incumbent, and also master of the FREE SCHOOL, which was re-built by subscription in 1793, and was endowed in 1730 by John Kitching, with the High Biggersbank estate, (now let for about £50 a year) for the education of all the poor children of the chapelry, and of the children of the tenants of the said farm and Cowper-house, at which latter the donor resided. It was afterwards endowed with £100 by Joseph Harling, for four free scholars from Skelsmergh. Selside Hall, now a farm-house, belongs with the demesne to Ralph Riddell, Esq. of Northumberland, but was long the seat of the Thornburghs, a Catholic family, one of whom gave the land occupied by the present chapel and cemetery, in order that he might devote the original chapel in the hall to his own religion, but it is now degraded to a farmer’s kitchen. The Thornburgh’s sold the manor off, by degrees, to the Wilsons and Bellinghams, and part to the tenants. The Hon. F. G. Howard is now lord of a large portion of it. Whiteside an extensive common in Selside was enclosed in 1825, pursuant to an Act passed in 1823 for enclosing the Commons of this township and Skelsmergh.

SKELSMERGH township extends from 1 to 3 miles N. by E. of Kendal, and lies between the Kent, Sprint, and Mint which bound it on all sides but the east. It contains the hamlet of Garth-row a number of straggling dwellings, two corn mills, a worsted mill, a dye wood mill, and a bobbin mill. For upwards of 400 years the manor belonged to the Leyburns, on Cunswick, who in the reign of Elizabeth, sold it to the Bellinghams and Braithwaites who enfranchised most of the tenants. The Hon. F. G. Howard is now lord of the manor, in which is a deserted burial ground, and some remains of St. John’s Chapel, which as early as Machel’s time was a wasted ruin. At Dodding-green is a CATHOLIC CHAPEL, which, about a century ago, was endowed by Robert Stephenson with the adjoining house and estate, for which Ralph Riddell, Esq. of Northumberland, is trustee. The Rev. Thomas Wilkinson is the resident priest. Mint-house the neat and pleasant seat of James Hogarth Long, Esq. stands in the vale of the Mint river.

STAVELEY is a large flourishing village in the township of Over Staveley, on the west side of the Kent where the Gowel beck falls into that river, 4 ½ miles NW. by N. of Kendal. Here are two extensive woolen manufactories and three bobbin mills, which give employment to many of the inhabitants, and have been many years in a prosperous state, so that the population has been much increased since 1821. Two fairs are held here yearly, viz. on the Wednesday before Easter for cattle, and 7th of October for sheep. In the 2nd of Edward III. Wm. de Roos, Baron of Kendal, obtained a charter for a market at Staveley on the Friday weekly, and a fair yearly on the eve, day, and morrow of St. Luke, but they have long been obsolete. The village is situated in a deep and picturesque part of the vale of Kent, and near it are the hamlets of BRUNT KNOTT and STAVELEY-PARK, also in Over Staveley township, besides which the Chapelry of Staveley includes most of Nether Staveley, and part of Hugill. The CHAPEL is a neat edifice, with a handsome tower and three bells. The curacy, of which the inhabitants are patrons, was lately worth £130 a year, but owing to a decrease in the value of agricultural produce, now only yields 90l., arising from dues, and the following endowment, viz. 10s. yearly, left by Henry Nicholson, for a sermon on St. Thomas’s day; and two small estates at New house in Patton, and Crow-Park in Natland, purchased with 200l. of Queen Anne’s bounty; 100l. given by Lady Moyer, and 100l. subscribed by the inhabitants. The Rev. Peter Strickland is the incumbent, and also master of the Free School, which is endowed with 60l. per annum arising from the Low Scroggs and Elfhow estates, and half the rent of a bobbin mill, bequeathed in 1696 by George Jopson to the officiating curate, "provided that he performs the office of a schoolmaster within the said chapelry." The Earl of Lonsdale and the Hon. F. G. Howard are lords of most of the manor of the two Staveleys and Hugill, and the tenants hold by small fee rents. The tenements of each lord lie intermixed, and courts are held occasionally.

STAVELEY (NETHER) township lies opposite the above, on the south side of the Gowel rivulet, and adjoining the Kent 4 ½ miles NW. of Kendal.

STRICKLAND KETEL township contains the chapel and part of the village of Burneside with the hamlets of Aik-rig-end, Low-green-hill, Plumgarths, and Sparrowmire, and a number of detached dwellings, all lying on the west side of the Kent river, from 2 to 4 miles NNW. of Kendal, opposite to Strickland Roger, which, with this township, anciently formed the manor of Stirkland, "being the pasture ground of stirks or steers, and other young cattle," and afterwards divided into two manors, one being called Strickland Ketel, from Ketel son of Eldred, son of Ivo de Talebois, first Baron of Kendal, and the other having its distinctive appellation from some of the Rogers lords of the same great Barony. The Earl of Lonsdale is lord of both these manors, except a small part belonging to the Hon. F. G. Howard. The common of Strickland Ketel, or Kettle, (as it is often improperly spelt) was enclosed in 1821.

STRICKLAND ROGER, township, on the east side of the Kent, contains the other part of Burneside village, and a number of straggling houses, from 2 to 4 miles N. and N. by W. of Kendal, bounded on the east by the river Sprint, and on the north by Potter Fell and Sleddale Forest. Near Garnet Bridge are two corn mills and a bobbin mill, and at Cowen Head is a paper mill. A family of the name of Godmond, formerly resided at Godmond Hall, an ancient tower house now belonging to Richard Burn, Esq. of London in which chapelry the two Stricklands are comprehended.

UNDERBARROW and BRADLEY FIELD form a township about 3 miles square, the houses being all scattered, extending from 1 to 4 miles W. of Kendal. Underbarrow Scar, a long and lofty ridge of rock, extends from north to south across the whole township, and upon its elevated summit the inhabitants of Kendal have an ancient privilege to walk and enjoy the prospect there presented to view. The CHAPEL was re-built in 1708, by the inhabitants of Underbarrow only, for Bradley-field is not in the chapelry, but annexed to the parish church. In 1732 the curacy was endowed with the High Bendrigg estate, in Killington, purchased with 200l. of Queen Anne’s bounty, and 200l. given by Colonel Grahme and Lady Moyer. It has also a rent charge of 30s. out of a field in the same township, and a small estate near the chapel, called the Chapel-house out of which latter, however, 35s. yearly is paid to the poor householders, in consideration of 35l. poor stock being included in the purchase money. The vicar of Kendal is patron of the curacy of which the Rev. Robert Taylor is now incumbent. Here are three neat and modern villas, viz. Low Grigg Hall, John Dodson, Esq.; Tulithwaite House, Mr. George Kirkby, tanner; and Thorns, Mr. Thomas Wilson, woolen manufacturer. The Earl of Lonsdale and the Hon. F. G. Howard are lords of the manor, except a small portion belonging to Thomas Bateman, Esq. of Halton Park, near Lancaster. The common was enclosed in 1821. The massive trunk of a very large and fair grown oak was found buried in cutting a drain, near Low Grigg Hall in 1828.

WHINFELL township is a picturesque district of detached dwellings, lying between the Mint and Borrowdale becks, from 4 ½ miles to 6 miles NE. by N. of Kendal. It is all included in Grayrigg chapelry, except the Guest-ford estate, which belongs to the chapelry of Old Hutton. The manor at an early period was divided into moieties, and in 1723 was sold to the tenants, together with Selside, Skelsmergh, and Patten, "with all royalties, deodands, ponds, waifs, and strays; paying thereout yearly 9s. 1 ½d. to the King, and 1s. to Lord Viscount Lonsdale." "The fishery in Whinfell tarn to remain amongst the tenants undivided." Besides this small lake, which covers 12 acres and abounds with tench, etc., here are two smaller ones, viz. Flat Tarn, and Pig Tarn, the former of which contains pike, and lies near the foot of Beacon Hill, a lofty conical eminence, crowned with a pile of stones. The School, here was re-built by the late Mr. Shepherd, of Shaw-end, but has not been endowed.

WHITWELL (See Selside)

WINSTER is a hamlet and chapelry, 8 miles W. of Kendal, forming a joint township with Undermillbeck which is in Windermere parish so that this union has nothing to recommend it but contiguity, and the inhabitants having from time immemorial supported their poor conjointly, yet the population of Winster (about 86) was in 1801 and 1821, improperly mixed up in one total with Undermillbeck. The manor was formerly held by the Philipsons, whose four co-heiresses, in 1717, sold it to the tenants, subject only to the payment of a small fee rent to the Crown. The CHAPEL has a neat octagon tower, and had a burial ground consecrated in 1721. The curacy has been several time augmented, viz. in 1617 with land given by Mr. Knipe, and exchanged in 1801 with Wm. Birket for 117l. and the Garnet house estate, in Winster; in 1720, with an estate in Cartmel Fells, purchased with 200l. of Queen Anne’s bounty; in 1760, with an estate in Dent, purchased with 200l. of Queen Anne’s bounty; 100l. left by Dr. Stratford, and 100l. subscribed; and, in 1820, with the Hole estate in Crook, purchased with 900l. of which sum 400l. was obtained in 1801 and 1815 from Queen Anne’s bounty, 300l. from a Parliamentary grant, 83l. by subscription, and the remainder was the above named 117l. Part of Cartmel Fells, being far distant from the mother church in Lancashire, pays to the curate of this chapelry, which was anciently under the chapel at Crook, and still contributes towards its reparation. The vicar of Kendal is the patron, and the Rev. John Long the incumbent.

Return to top

Westmorland Villages

Kendal Parish Index