Westmorland Villages

Kendal Parish Index

Kendal Parish Description


KENDAL, or KIRKBY-IN-KENDAL, the most extensive parish in Westmorland, has for its capital the largest town in the county, and averages upwards of ten miles in length and breadth, forming a beautifully diversified region of towering fells and scars, and fertile and picturesque valleys, glens, and thwaites, watered by the river Kent and its numerous tributary streams, flowing from the surrounding mountains, and giving motion to the machinery of many mills and manufactories. Most of the commons and moors have been enclosed and cultivated, and fine crops of corn are now raised. Near Crook are lead veins, though not now worked; and fine limestone, suitable for building-stone, for mortar, and for the sculptor, is found in various parts of the parish, in which is the small lake of Kentmere, and many interesting objects. Besides the populous town of Kendal, the parish contains upwards of 50 villages and hamlets, with 14 chapels of ease, and is divided into 26 townships, of which the following is an enumeration, with the number of inhabitants in 1801, 1811, and 1821, and the annual value of the lands and buildings in 1815, as assessed for the property tax:

 

 KENDAL

_________Population________

 

Annual Value £

(Parish)

1801

1811

1821

persons

persons

houses

families

persons

Kirkby-in-Kendal Twp.

6892

7505

1881

2048

8984

21,202

Crook Chpy.

179

176

37

42

227

1109

Dillicar* Twp.

77

78

16

17

89

584

Docker Twp.

65

71

15

16

89

923

Fawcet Forest= Twp.

81

61

8

8

54

807

Grayrigg Chpy.

199

208

39

40

229

1998

Helsington Chpy.

230

229

47

47

268

3556

Hugill (inc. Ing’s Chapel) Chpy.

237

243

53

53

300

1449

Kentmere Chpy.

166

212

39

39

212

1409

Kirkland‡ Twp.

1086

1245

122

330

1378

1738

Lambrigg Twp.

124

137

27

33

164

1025

Long Sleddale Chpy.

187

172

34

36

185

1392

Natland Chpy.

205

188

44

50

244

1959

Nether Graveship Twp.

37

43

14

14

76

1953

Nether Staveley Twp.

131

155

28

33

189

1507

New Hutton Chpy.

125

110

25

26

127

1490

Old Hutton & Holmescales Chpy.

368

376

76

85

424

3242

Over Staveley (with Chpl) Twp.

324

230

60

60

312

1367

Patton § Twp.

77

81

12

13

89

§

Scalthwaiterigg Hay, & Hutton-I-‘th-Hay Twp.

250

276

55

57

348

3120

Selside with Whitwell Chpy.

192

234

37

41

291

1873

Skelsmergh § Twp.

247

220

40

41

258

4609

Strickland-Ketel  Twp.

269

310

70

72

390

 

} 5929

Strickland-Roger  Twp.

250

302

56

62

341

 

Underbarrow & Bradley-field Chpy.

376

349

78

90

504

3346

Whinfell Twp.

184

193

34

36

204

1878

Winster ¶ Chpy.

97

Total

12,558

13,501

2947

3389

15,976

69,465

 

* Dillicar is in Lonsdale Ward, and all the others in Kendal Ward.

= Fawcet-Forest extends into the parishes of Orton and Shap, which see.

Kirkland adjoins the town of Kendal, and is greatly burthened with poor-rates.

§ Patton. – The annual value is included with Skelsmergh.

 Strickland Ketel and Strickland Roger are in Burnside Chapelry.

Winster is included with Undermillbeck, in the parish of Windermere, with which township it is united for the support of paupers.

The increase in 1821, in Selside and Whitwell, was occasioned by labourers making a road.

This parish, though now so very extensive, was anciently much larger, for it once comprised Windermere and Grasmere, which have long been separate parishes, and are now the only rectories within the great BARONY OF KENDAL, which, with a genealogical sketch of its successive lords, is described in the section titled BARONY OF KENDAL. The parish is bounded by the parishes of Shap, Orton, Sedbergh, Kirkby-Lonsdale, Burton, Heversham, Windermere, and Grasmere.

Can you offer to help or to provide documents/photographs? Email -


Return to Top

Westmorland Villages

Kendal Parish Index